The student must be able to construct this figure with a compass knowing the value of its radius and master all the vocabulary of the course.
They will also need to develop geometry skills in order to perform demonstrations or construct more complex figures using geometry materials (ruler, square, compass and protractor) in the sixth grade.
I. The vocabulary of circles
A circle with center O is formed by all points at the same distance from point O. This distance is called the radius.
We used the compass to draw the circle of center O and radius 1.5 cm.
It has a diameter of 3 cm.
The diameter is twice the radius.
On the figure below, the points A, B, C, D and M belong to the circle of center O.
- The segment [OM] is also called the radius of the circle .
- The segment [CD] is a chord of the circle .
- The string [AB] is a diameter of the circle because the center O is the middle of this string.
- The red colored portion of the circle is the arc of the circle .
II. Characteristic properties:
All points with center O are at the same distance from point O.
Two points located at the same distance from a point O belong to the same circle with center O.
Have you assimilated this 6th grade course?
0 of 5 questions completed
Un QCM de maths sur le cercle en 6ème.
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
- Not categorized 0%
Skills to be assimilated on this chapter:
- Know the definition;
- Know how to draw with geometry equipment (ruler, compass, square and protractor);
- Know the definitions and properties of a radius, a diameter, a string, an arc and the notations.
- Calculate the perimeter;
This course is in accordance with the official programs of thenational education.
In addition, you can consult the exercises on circles
Cette publication est également disponible en : Français (French) العربية (Arabic)